Friday, June 13, 2014

Making Connections

The school year is almost to an end so it is time to start sending home beautiful work of art such as all the flowers and butterflies from our spring bulletin board.  The children did a beautiful blue mural for the sky so we asked if it reminded them of something else.  Ben said “an ocean.”  We put the mural on the floor with coloring crayons and told the children to draw things found in oceans.   Tammy, Giuliana G., Joanna-Lee, Kaitlyn, Alessa and Ben had fun drawing and presenting to the class their pictures. 


Then, we asked the children how they knew that (name of their pictures) could be found in the ocean. The children were able to make connections to a tv show, a movie, to something they had experienced and even to their feelings. Here are those connections as said by the children.


Giuliana G.

Dolphin – I watched it on Wild Kratts.

Mermaid – I saw a mermaid from a show. (Do you know the name of the show?) Net Flix

Sea volcano – I saw it on Wild Kratts.

Crabs – I watched it on Wild Kratts.

Sinking ship - I watched it on Wild Kratts

Ben

Sun – The sun is in the sky, not the ocean

Shark – I saw it on a tv show.

 Alessa

Shell – I just know it.

Sea star – I just know it.

Seaweeds – I went to the beach and I saw seaweeds.

Mermaid – Because Ariel lives in the ocean. (How do you know Ariel lives in the ocean).  I watched the movie “The Little Mermaid.”

Tammy

Mermaid – …in the movie about Ariel.

Dolphin – I see a dolphin living in the ocean about a movie in Wild Kratts.

Seashell - Because they are everywhere in the ocean.
 
Joanna-Lee

Seashell – Jamaica has some.

People – Because in Jamaica I swim there.

Kaitlyn

Seashell – I drew a seashell with lines so the water can go in. I saw shells at the extended day.  We did a craft with them.

Flower  - I also drew a flower because I like flowers.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment